What is a foster family?
The foster family provides a warm home and provides a temporary return to the children in distress, who were removed from the custody of the biological parents by agreement or by order of the court.
The foster family contributes to the physical, sensory and educational development of the children. The custody process comes to an end when the child reaches the age of 18, or in the following cases: transferring the child to another place outside the family home, returning the child to his biological family or transferring him to adoption.
It is important to know!
The "Samiit" association provides foster families with constant counseling and support in all stages of the foster care process. This service is provided to foster families only in the Jerusalem area and the south under the supervision and participation of the Ministry of Welfare in coordination with the social services departments in the local authorities. With the aim of reaching the optimal activity, the "Samiit" Institute places at the disposal of the foster families a basket of privileges and comprehensive professional support.
Foster families deserve financial reimbursement by the Ministry of Welfare and all families are identified as volunteer families
- Qualification of new foster families in preparation for their new job, on a personal and collective level through courses (selection, classification and qualification) and personal meetings.
- Intensive professional assistance by a nursery specialist during the adoption of the children, in cases of separation and crises, and at every stage of the child's stay within the framework of the foster family, where the specialist accompanies the family professionally and emotionally.
- Providing counseling and formulating a treatment plan by nursery specialists and social workers.
- Application of a treatment plan individually by a psychiatrist, supportive medical treatment, guidance and assistance in education.
- Support groups and group meetings to support daily treatment for parents and caregivers.
- Groups to treat adolescent boys in foster families.
- The communication between the foster families and the Ministry of Labor and Welfare, in order to obtain financial reimbursement for expenses for children with special needs.
- Entertainment days and supplements for the foster families and the children, as part of belonging to the group of foster families at the "Samiit" Institute.
- The foster families of the Samit Institute.
The required conditions to apply for the foster families and the emergency nursery:
- The elderly generation should not exceed 55 years.
- A medical certificate proving the safety and health of the parents
- A certificate proving the absence of any criminal record by the police
- A decent place for the boy inside the house
- Fixed income and economic stability
- Healthy personal relationships between family members
- Written and verbal recommendations from community groups that know the family.
- Accepting and identifying the function of the foster family: providing the possibility for a natural development for the child in all areas of life, and for him to have a home that complements his biological home.